Thursday, May 27, 2010

The drunk girl on the bench


What a scene. I love the way it is written. The narrative is smooth, but there is still great description. When you read the scene, pay attention to the style. Why do you think it works so well without being verbose? I find my question is the thing to look at here. AT a time of romantic language, Dostoyevsky is to the purpose in his writing, but there is still a voice there. It will be important to pay attention to that voice.

Raskolnikov tries to do the right thing and defend this girl from that pervert, but he looses money and gets yelled at for intruding. Raskolnikov sees the trouble in trying to help. Why bother? Poor guy.

I'm starting to scan my cerebral database for a superhero comic that compares. Anybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment